Dance concerts from the classical to the avant garde. Theatre performances from blackbox to Broadway, spanning the centuries from the Greeks to the Tony winners of tomorrow. No matter what your tastes, Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance has the show for you. Here's why Muhlenberg's Theatre & Dance Department is among the Lehigh Valley's premiere performing arts venues.
Muhlenberg's theatre productions range from the experimental to Broadway's biggest hits. Dance concerts include both intimate solo performances and dance pieces that fill the stage, in every style and genre.
You'll see things on the Muhlenberg stage that you could never see anywhere else. Recent seasons have featured:
- World premiere dance theatre and circus theatre works.
- Exciting new dance works by emerging and established choreographers.
- Dynamic new adaptations of world classics, such as Lorca's Blood Wedding, Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale, Romeo & Juliet, Gao's The Other Shore, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest, and Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard.
- Rarely produced works such as Tarell Alvin McCraney's Wig Out!, Sarah Ruhl's Passion Play, and Gertrude Stein's Listen to Me.
- World premieres of plays such as Brighde Mullins' The Bourgeois Pig, Holly Cate's Glory and O War, and fully produced student-written plays.
And more inspiring and innovative theatre and dance performances.
We have worked hard to keep our Summer Music Theatre ticket prices affordable — and still maintain the Broadway-quality production values for which SMT has become known. And Department Mainstage theatre and dance productions are one of the best entertainment values in town!
Theatre & Dance is a single unified department at Muhlenberg, with a shared vision and mission. That means our students have more performance opportunities, and our audiences enjoy first-class productions that benefit from the resources and talents of both programs.
Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance and the Summer Music Theatre serve as an artistic home to some of the region's most talented designers, choreographers, and directors, with an impressive array of professional credits and interests. Muhlenberg competes for students with the country's finest conservatory programs, and many of our alumni go on to successful careers in the performing arts.
What's more, every season we play host to world-renowned guest artists in theatre and dance, whose work enhances both our educational program and our performances.