As Resident Advisors (RAs), we know the best way to promote success for our peers is by modeling the way. Through our Residential Curriculum, RAs take on a number of key roles in supporting our students. From advocating for inclusive communities, to providing a thriving academic environment within our halls, our RAs are empowered to serve their residents.
This is a significant responsibility, therefore our new RAs must meet the following qualifications in order to not only care for others but also thrive themselves.
- Be a current full-time student at Muhlenberg College.
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of employment as an RA.
- Must have sophomore student status by position start date (August prior to the start of the Fall semester)
- Engage in the full selection and recruitment process, whilst demonstrating a sense of care for others. This includes completing the RA application, attending an information session, and taking part in our full Workshop Weekend process. This process is intentionally designed to be sure our candidates are knowledgeable about the RA role and its commitments.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA and cumulative GPA during the Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Summer 2022 and the 2022-23 academic year.
- Our RAs must model behavior in line with our student conduct policy by being in good disciplinary standing with the College.
- RAs cannot commit to more than 12 hours of outside commitments per week. These can be defined as research assistantships, internships, extracurricular involvement, practicum experiences, paid employment, etc. This rule exists to ensure we can support our RA work-life balance, and time management in their role.
- RAs must fully participate in Fall 2022 training. Training is anticipated to be from August 13-24, 2022
Benefits & Compensation
The job of an RA can be very rewarding, but we know it's a large time commitment and can be challenging to balance with campus life. As a result, we offer the following compensations for all staff members:
- Salary: A starting salary of $5,960 per year for new RAs in traditional and suite buildings and $3,720 for first year MILE RAs
- Housing: A single room in a traditional hall, or a single room in a suite/MILE property with the option to live with roommates
- Parking: Free parking pass on campus
Our Housing and Residence Life (HRL) family is always looking for strong leaders to join our team. We’re looking for candidates who are passionate about the role and have strong critical thinking skills but who are also able to succeed personally while taking on these responsibilities. In order for us to learn about our candidates, and for candidates to learn more about their role, we have created an experience that provides a hands-on experience for our candidates.
Below is the RA recruitment timeline for new RAs applying for positions during the 2022-2023 academic year. Questions about this timeline can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New RA Application Opens- Monday, October 25, 2021
This application includes a five-minute informational survey, three written short answer questions, and a video interview information/submission. RA candidates are able to save and return to this application as many times as you need before the deadline of Monday, December 20, 2021.
Mandatory Info Sessions (must attend at least one)
New RA candidates are asked to attend one of the following Information Sessions located in the GQ Annex. These sessions are created to inform our candidates more about the RA role, but also to educate candidates about each step of our application timeline. These are designed for candidates to meet our team, ask questions, and learn tips to support our candidates and their success.
Below are the times and dates of these sessions:
- Wednesday, November 3, 2021 - 8 p.m. - GQ Annex
- Friday, November 12, 2021 - 2 p.m. - Taylor 6
- Thursday, November 18, 2021- 8 p.m. - GQ Annex
- Monday, November 22, 2021 - 12 p.m. - GQ Annex
- Monday, November 29, 2021 - 8 p.m. - Seagers 108
- Tuesday, December 7, 2021 - 12 p.m. - GQ Annex
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 - 8 p.m. - GQ Annex
New RA Application Due Date: Monday, December 20, 2021
Workshop Weekend: February 18-20, 2022
Workshop Weekend is a chance for you to practice some of the skills the RA role requires. During Workshop Weekend, you and a group of other candidates will engage in some activities all designed to simulate key components of your RA role. Some of these activities will be in groups, others will be completed individually.
In order to prepare our candidates, as we do our RAs, closer to the time of Workshop Weekend you will receive a packet outlining the weekend itself, a rundown on our Housing and Residence Life Office, as well as some tips and tricks. Our goal during this process is not to surprise you, or to put you under pressure, but rather see how well you are able to serve as an RA. We think you will enjoy the experience.
RA Offer Letters: Friday, February 25, 2022
On February 25, the Office of Housing & Residence Life will notify candidates about their status in the selection process. Candidates can receive one of the three following responses:
- Accepted candidates- Your offer letter will include what building/area you are assigned to and a deadline to officially accept the position.
- Waitlist candidates- This is a highly competitive application process! If any openings occur you may be contacted to fill that role.
- Declined this time- Do not be discouraged! We may feel you are not ready yet to take on the challenge of being an RA. Reapplication is always an option. We’re always excited to see returning applicants to see how they’ve grown.
Student Staff Kick Off- Friday, April 8, 2022 2-4 p.m.
Accepted candidates will gather for fun, food and time to meet their new staff. We use this time to also share any information you may need to know about training, or the upcoming year.
RA Training Start: TENTATIVE: August 13, 2022