About our Department
Campus Safety consists of the Director, an Assosiate Director, 12 sworn full-time police officers, 3 sworn reserve officers, 5 Communication Center dispatchers, and one office manager, who provide 24-hour service each day of the year. Our officers have a mix of law enforcement and security-related background and experience. The majority of our police officers have prior law enforcement experience that they continuously apply to our campus community. All of our officers are CPR, First Aid, and AED certified, and receive on-going training in those areas that require quick and immediate response.
Campus Safety proudly participates in the student worker program at Muhlenberg College. We also oversee the campus Emergency Medical Services, which consists of over 30 student volunteers.
How safe is Muhlenberg College?
Without hesitation, we are able to say that our campus is as safe as any other college or university in the country—and in many ways, safer. We say this because of the following:
- There are over 160 camera views located in common areas around campus and places of high-student traffic. We have the capability of monitoring them, as well as recording anything of a suspicious nature that may occur.
- All residence halls are locked 24 hours each day.
- All dormitory rooms are equipped with smoke detectors and sprinkler heads.
- There are 62 blue light emergency telephones strategically located around campus, with blue lights on the top so that they are visible during hours of darkness.
- We utilize a free text messaging system that allows us to send notifications to Muhlenberg College students, faculty, and staff during any emergency that may occur on campus. Register for Omnilert
- A pop-up desktop warning with an audible alert tone can be sent to over 200 college-owned desktop computers, providing a message during on-campus emergencies.
- We have an active working relationship with the Allentown Police Department, who are able to respond quickly if there is a need for assistance on campus.
- The Allentown Police Department has installed 7 cameras on the outskirts of the campus, which can monitor activities of concern that may affect the campus community.
- We provide free R.A.D. self-defense classes for both men and women.
- Our officers are able to provide escort services to students 24 hours per day.