Community Service & Civic Engagement
Keep an eye out for the 2013 Summer Service Fellows Application this February!
Allentown Health Bureau
The Summer Service Fellow matched with the Nutrition and Physical Activity Program of the Allentown Bureau of Health will take on a leadership role in two department initiatives: “Fruits and Veggies on the Move” and the Summer Recreation Program. “Fruits and Veggies on the Move” is designed to increase access to fresh fruits and vegetables while generating excitement among youth about eating fruits and vegetables. The Fellow would be involved in creating a schedule for the initiative, purchasing (and possibly doing minimal preparation of) the produce, and assist serving as the on-site Fruit and Veggie “vendor.”
The Alliance Hall Summer Recreation Program is a collaborative effort by several organizations providing recreation, arts and crafts, swimming, field trips, breakfast and lunch to inner-city children in Allentown, PA. The Fellow will collaborate with other high school and college students to supervise youth participants and lead educational and recreational activities. The Fellow will be invited to develop and deliver new programming for groups of participants. The Fellow will also provide administrative support to the program through managing registration forms and attendance sheets, coordinating field trips, and communicating with participants’ parents.
The Summer Service Fellow will assist clerical and administrative staff in the office answering phones, making copies and sending faxes. Student will assist medical records/HR and Volunteer Coordinator with filing and helping to keep all hospice and personnel files updated. Student will receive orientation to visit with patients and should have knowledge of Word and Excel.
ARCH of Lehigh Valley
The Summer Service Fellow will work with the Therapeutic Summer Camp at ARCH of the Lehigh Valley/Elwyn involving both direct care with children/adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders as well as case management and administrative planning, preparation, and coordination of the program. ARCH summer camp serves children/adolescents ages 11-21 diagnosed with Autism, PDD, or Asperger’s for a 6 week therapeutic summer program.
During the weeks of programming, the position would involve 5 hours per day in direct care with the campers. Additional hours would be used to assist with planning and coordinating activities, preparing lessons, snacks, and or other administrative tasks. The position would involve 3 weeks prior to the camp program start in securing authorizations from Medical Assistance, planning community trips, preparing activities, preparing clinical paperwork and client charts, participation in staff trainings, and arranging classrooms for the campers. The 10th week of the position would involve reviewing parent satisfaction surveys, preparing discharge paperwork, closing out client charts, and reorganizing supplies and classroom materials from the program.
The Summer Service Fellow will be an aide to the Pa’Lante Programs’ Teachers. They will help with keeping attendance and collecting paperwork as well as assisting with the planning and implementation of enrichment activities, helping the teacher with the students in the classroom and on outings. As an aide they will make sure that all the materials for the day’s activities are prepared and help to keep the classroom clean. The fellow would also manage breakfast, lunch and snack distribution.
Chamber of Commerce - Main St. Program
The Summer Service Fellow will assist with:
- Writing copy for and updating the Hamilton District Main Street Program Web Site as needed (does not necessarily need previous experience.) This project will include assisting with the creation of an online Business Directory.
- Assisting in the planning and logistics for special events including: Summer in the City, Blues Brews and Barbecue and Party on the Deck events, among others.
- Serving as the on-site manager for the Plaza Growers Market which is held on Wednesdays from 10am – 2pm and includes assisting the vendors in set-up, managing the community table; and recruiting new vendors to the market.
- Assisting in the promotion of events including putting up posters and notifying businesses of events.
- Administrative duties including copying, preparing reports and other data entry.
City of Allentown
The Summer Service Fellow will work under the SERVAllentown Initiative directly with Mayor’s Office of Volunteerism, gather volunteer projects from community organizations and align with volunteers throughout Allentown.
City of Allentown - Business Development
The Summer Service Fellow will complete the following:
- Review and update website content connected to Business and Events
- Generate a presentation of recommended improvements to the City’s presence on the website as it relates to Business and Events. Upon approval- implement recommendations
- Take a lead managing role of the Plaza Grower’s Market program- recruiting vendors, assisting with marketing and managing on-site Wednesdays.
- Assist with business contacts and follow-up and event preparation.
- Assist with coordinating weekly “It’s Happening” email blasts
- Assist with event operations and management
The Summer Service Fellow would assist in all aspects of running a non-profit arts organization. As Civic is currently in the process of expanding its programming (adding more summer theatrical programming, concerts, and special events) the organization is going through a tremendous transition. The Board is currently developing a strategic plan, and a Summer Fellow would assist the Managing Director to implement the various aspects of the plan across the major administrative areas of the organization: fundraising, sales, marketing, volunteer coordination, business/operations.
The Fellow would assist the Managing Director in the logistical operations of running the art house film series and work with the managing director on the development and implementation of a plan for the theatre’s digital cinema initiative. In addition, the Fellow would work with the managing director on projects related to the West End Theatre District, including a silent film event for the community that is being planned in June in conjunction with Allentown’s 250th Anniversary Celebration.
Friends of Allentown Parks
The Summer Service Fellow would have the opportunity to develop or sharpen their skills in website development, marketing and communications. This will be achieved through a combination of assigned tasks and the opportunity for the Fellow to propose a self-guided project of his or her choice. The Fellow would:
- Develop content and layout of Friends’ weekly 1-page newsletter.
- Develop marketing materials promoting events and programs for submission to appropriate news media, organizations, etc.
- Develop and generate content for the Friends website geared towards scheduled events.
- Prepare histories of various Allentown parks both in hard copy as well as for the Friends website in anticipation of various scheduled events.
South Mountain Middle School
The Summer Service Fellow will assist the Community School Director with the
delivery and promotion of the Community School model. He/She would assist with planning, coordination and delivery of
summer enrichment programs and activities and end of year data collection and analysis/ evaluation of the previous school
year’s programs, objectives and outcomes. During the 5-week traditional summer school program the Fellow would assist
with the engagement of non-attending students, interviews with summer school students and analysis of school wide summer school data. The Fellow would also assist with coordination of a 3-week Teacher Academy Professional Development program designed for SMMS faculty and staff.
St. Luke's Neighborhood Center
The Summer Service Fellow will work Monday-Friday from 9:45 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. assisting with programming for the kids at the center. The Fellow will assist with lunches and clean-up in addition to the other planned activities.