Early Decision Checklist
We’re so pleased that you’ve decided to apply Early Decision. When you apply Early Decision, you’re expressing your preference in a way that is powerful and important—and here at Muhlenberg we appreciate your conviction and enthusiasm.
Early Decision candidates should complete the Common Application and select "Early Decision" as their preferred admission plan in the Muhlenberg questions. Our ED deadline is February 15 (same as our Regular Decision deadline), but we begin ED application review (and begin mailing ED decision letters) in late November through late February. Students who are applying to one of our cooperative programs must submit additional documents.
The Common Application is now exclusively online and there are some new updates to the application this year. Below are directions that we hope will help you in the application process, but as always, we are here to help so please feel invited to contact us with any questions you may have at 484-664-3200:
- Visit if you can.
We strongly encourage a campus visit to interview and tour. The interview can be an important opportunity to explore “the fit” between you and Muhlenberg. It can also be a chance to develop a relationship with an admissions counselor who can then act as an advocate for you. Remember, if you are applying for one of our cooperative programs, or choosing not to submit test scores, you are required to have an admissions interview.
- Complete the Common Application.
- You may apply online. Note that a $50 application fee is required unless your guidance counselor certifies that this would present a significant financial hardship for your family. If you have additional questions about our fee waiver policy, please contact us directly at 484-664-3245.
- Select Early Decision as your preferred admission plan on the Common Application online.
The Muhlenberg-specific questions on the Common Application online allow students to indicate their preferred admission plan (Early Decision or Regular Decision).
Sometimes students later change their mind about their preferred admission plan. If that happens, please use this ED Form.
- Have two teachers provide recommendations (please assign recommenders online through the Common Application).
Your recommenders can either send their recommendations through the Common Application online or by downloading the forms on the Common Application website and sending them directly to the Office of Admission.
- Follow up with your assigned counselor to ensure that your Mid Year Report is sent to us when available.
Your counselor can either send the Mid Year Report through the Common Application online or by downloading the form on the Common Application website and sending it directly to the Office of Admission.
- If you're choosing to submit your ACT or SAT scores, be sure to have them sent directly to Muhlenberg.
Our ACT school code is 3640, and note that we do require the writing portion. Our SAT school code is 2424, and we don’t require the SAT-II.
- If you’re choosing not to submit your ACT or SAT scores, please respond accordingly to the preferred testing plan question on the Common Application. Note that if you’re applying to one of our cooperative programs, you must submit an ACT or SAT score.
The Muhlenberg-specific questions on the Common Application online allow students to indicate whether they wish their test scores to be used in the admissions evaluation by responding to the "testing plan" question within the Common Application.
Sometimes students later change their minds about whether or not to submit test scores. If that happens, please use this SAT Optional Form.
- You may check for missing application materials through your student portal.
Once your application is received, you will receive an e-mail with directions on how to access this page at the e-mail you've provided on your Common Application.
- If you wish to be considered for need-based financial aid, please file a CSS Financial Aid Profile within a week of applying to Muhlenberg.
Our CSS code is 2424. This will help us keep our commitment to run need-based and merit aid processes early so that admitted students know about financial aid before they are required to deposit. If you wish to be considered for merit aid only, you are not required to submit any additional paperwork other than your Common Application.
- Please anticipate a decision between Thanksgiving and February 25 (typically, the earlier you apply, the earlier we can notify you of an admission decision).