singing & dancing ...
One benefit of studying in the Department of Theatre and Dance? If you want to pursue both, you've got it made.
Interested in musical theatre? You can get excellent training with a degree from the Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance Department. Many of our alumni have gone on to successful careers in musical theatre, including performing and producing on Broadway and in National and International Tours.
We make it easy for you to pursue your passion for the stage. You'll receive in-depth training in acting and dance through the Theatre & Dance Department, and take individual voice lessons and other musical training through the College's excellent Music Department. You can also take advantage of the many performance opportunities on campus:
- At least one large-scale musical in the Mainstage Season each year. The 2009-10 season included both the offbeat modern classic Bat Boy: The Musical and the world premiere of An American Tragedy, a new musical by theatre legend Charles Strouse, developed in collaboration with the Department.
- Dance theatre collaborative pieces are frequently featured in the Mainstage season. Examples include the 2011 production of The Tempest, Gao Xinjian's The Other Shore, and world premieres of Caw and Corps.
- The Muhlenberg Summer Music Theatre presents three major musical theatre works on campus each summer. Students work with guest artists, professional directors and designers, and full orchestra in lavish professional productions. Paid positions are available for performers, designers, production staff, carpenters, box office staff, and others. If you have a passion for musical theatre, you couldn't ask for a better summer job than this one.
- Numerous performing ensembles, including a cappella choruses, the College Choir, comedy improv troupes, several touring dance ensembles, and theatre ensembles that perform in area schools and community centers.
- Studio Productions and Third-Tier Productions, presented by the student-run Muhlenberg Theatre Association, give you the opportunity to create your own projects. The MTA offers 15 to 20 of these productions each year. Past productions have included both established musicals, such as Sondheim's Assassins, as well as new musicals composed by students.
Students who wish to pursue musical theatre training have many options available to them, including but not limited to the following:
- Major in Theatre and minor in both Dance and Music.
- Double major in Theatre and Dance, with additional vocal instruction and other music classes.
- Double major in Theatre and Music, with additional studio dance classes in tap, jazz and modern
Your academic advisor can help you to select courses that will best meet your needs and interests.
- The Dance Program
- The Theatre Program
- Design & Technology for Theatre & Dance
- Musical Theatre Training
- Dual Majors & Multidisciplinary Studies
- Study Abroad
- Performance & Design Opportunities
Want to know more? Just fill out the form!
The Pajama Game, October 2010. Photo by Kenny Ek, Kenek Photography.