learn to dance / dance to learn
From the studio to the stage, performance and choreography students dance and create in an environment that is intense but collaborative, with an emphasis on both technique and intellectual breadth.
“We at Muhlenberg College want to provide an education where you can succeed at anything — not just dance, not just theatre, but life.”
—Director of Dance
The Dance Choreography students focus on specific performance skills in a range of dance techniques, as well as engaging an in-depth study of the process of creative expression through choreography. Available courses include three levels of dance composition, screen dance, and a full range of technique classes. Students also learn the stagecraft of lighting and costume design, and have numerous opportunities to stage works for both informal and mainstage concerts.
A busy performance schedule gives our students frequent opportunities to dance and choreograph for an audience:
- Two student-choreographed Mainstage Concerts each year.
- An annual Master Choreographers concert, in which students have the chance to work closely with accomplished faculty and guest artists.
- An Informal Concert series each semester, featuring the work of student choreographers and dancers.
- Frequent dance-theatre Mainstage collaborations, creating original works and innovative interdisciplinary adaptations, such as The Tempest.
- Grand-scale musical theatre productions that showcase the talents of student dancers.
- Three touring ensembles that perform on and off campus throughout the school year: Six Meters dance improv, the Jazz Tap Ensemble, and the DanceMax ensemble.
Coursework for Choreography concentrators includes:
- Foundation courses in dance movement, composition, and stagecraft
- Training offered at four levels of advancement, in ballet, jazz, tap, and modern dance
- Advanced dance composition
- Courses in anatomy, kinesiology, biology of movement, and somatic practice for dancers
- Optional courses in screen dance, African dances and cultures, dance partnering, and aerial acrobatics
- The Dance Program
- The Theatre Program
- Design & Technology for Theatre & Dance
- Musical Theatre Training
- Dual Majors & Multidisciplinary Studies
- Study Abroad
- Performance & Design Opportunities
Want to know more? Just fill out the form!
Dance performance photo by Matthew Wright.