first-class theatre & dance
Dance concerts from the classical to the avant garde. Theatre performances from blackbox to Broadway, spanning the centuries from the Greeks to the Tony winners of tomorrow. No matter what your tastes, Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance has the show for you.
Here's why Muhlenberg's Theatre & Dance Department is among the Lehigh Valley's premiere performing arts venues.
Muhlenberg's theatre productions range from the experimental (The Other Shore, Polaroid Stories) to Broadway's biggest hits (Oklahoma, The Pajama Game). Dance concerts include both intimate solo performances and dance pieces that fill the stage, in every style and genre.
You'll see things on the Muhlenberg stage that you could never see anywhere else. Recent seasons have featured:
- World premiere dance theatre works (Such as Caw, and the recent dance theatre adaptation of The Tempest)
- Exciting new dance works by emerging and established choreographers
- The staged reading — and then fully staged world premiere — of a new musical (An American Tragedy) by Broadway legend Charles Strouse
- Dynamic new adaptations of world classics, such as Lorca's Blood Wedding, Shakespeare's Twelfth Night and The Winter's Tale, Gao's The Other Shore, and Molière's Learned Ladies
- World premieres of plays such as Brighde Mullins' The Bourgeois Pig, Mac Wellman's Anything's Dream, and Beth Schachter & Troy Dwyer's Lures and Snares
And more inspiring and innovative theatre and dance performances.
We have worked hard to keep our Summer Music Theatre ticket prices affordable — and still maintain the Broadway-quality production values for which SMT has become known. And Department Mainstage theatre and dance productions are one of the best entertainment values in town! Most tickets (except full-orchestra musicals) are $15 — even less if you come to four or more shows in the season.
Theatre & Dance is a single unified department at Muhlenberg, with a shared vision and mission. That means our students have more — and more diverse — performance opportunities, and our audiences enjoy first-class productions that benefit from the resources and talents of both programs.
Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance and the Summer Music Theatre serve as an artistic home to some of the region's most talented designers, choreographers, and directors, with an impressive array of professional credits and interests. Muhlenberg competes for students with the country's finest conservatory programs, and many of our alumni go on to successful careers in the performing arts.
What's more, every season we play host to world-renowned guest artists in theatre and dance, whose work enhances both our educational program and our performances.
Photos (top to bottom): Caw, 2009; Moving Stories 2009; The Who's Tommy, SMT 2008; An American Tragedy, 2010; Dance Emerge 2009; The Increased Difficulty of Concentration, 2009; Master Choreographers 2010. Bottom: The Mikado, SMT 2010; Oklahoma, 2008.
Theatre photos by Kenny Ek, Kenek Photography. Moving Stories photo by Ben Carlson. Other dance concert photos by Matthew Wright.
summer music theatre