Office of Disability Services



Special Housing Request Policies
and Procedures

Policies and Procedures:

Students with a diagnosed disability that may impact residential living may submit a special housing request through the Office of Disability Services. Students with documented medical conditions that may warrant requests for specialized housing are encouraged to review all components of the documentation process including components listed on the Special Housing Request Student Form and the Diagnostician reporting requirements. Special housing requests applications and documentation are reviewed on a case-by-case basis in a collaborative process with the Directors of the following Departments: Office of Disability Services, Office of Residential Services, Counseling Services, and Student Health Services.

Students should complete the Special Housing Request Student Form available through the Office of Disability Services or Residential Services web pages to activate the process. The Diagnostician Form should be presented to the medical professional who will be providing written documentation of the condition. Continuing Muhlenberg College students must submit the application for Special Housing Request, with the supporting documentation, by March 10, 2014. Incoming, first year students must submit the Special Housing Requests, with the supporting documentation, no later than June 13, 2014.

Special Housing Request applications are considered and prioritized based on the most critical medical need, the severity of the condition, and on the availability of accommodated residential space. Priority will be given to students with life-threatening medical conditions that may impact their ability to perform activities of daily living. The accommodations requested through this process must be an integral component of a treatment plan prescribed by a medical professional qualified to treat the particular condition. Generally, conditions such as Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders do not warrant specialized housing.

For further information contact the Office of Disability Services at